Dear Students and Colleagues,
Given the current scenario, the level of uncertainly about the ongoing academic session among the students and faculty members and that we do not know at what stage of infection level we are in our country, after a series of internal brain storming sessions (all in virtual mode if you are wondering!) we are compelled to take the below listed decisions based on the following philosophy -
a) health and wellbeing of our students are of utmost importance,
b) career plans of all graduating students should be least disturbed,
c) semester and academic calendars over the entire calendar year should be least shifted, and
d) maximum efforts should be made to maintain the quality of academics.
1. Summer vacation is preponed. We declare the summer vacation during April 1 to May 31. IITB will reopen on June 1, 2020.
2. On return to campus on June 1, residual instructions and end-sem exams will be completed, followed by a short break, and the new semester would start from Aug 1, 2020.
3. A special, fully online-based Summer Semester will be run during April 1 to May 31. Only final year B.Tech and DD students having a very few backlogs will be allowed to register.
4. Final year DD and M.Tech students will be allowed to complete their thesis works, submit and defend by June 30, as per normal practice. They should be allowed to do several of these activities over the Internet.
5. All Ph.D. students will be allowed to give presyn, submit thesis, if ready, and defend, if reports are positive, even during the lockdown period.
6. Lockdown mode in IITB continues as per the Government advisory and once it is found safe, research students will be allowed to return and resume their works in the labs. Until informed by IITB, no attempt should be made to return to the campus.
7. International exchange students, if they plan to leave the country after the lock down period is over, should get in touch with the Dean(IR) office to work out an appropriate academic plan.
8. No outside summer interns will be allowed to come to IITB this year.
9. The entire admission process (for all programs) is deferred until further notice.
Dean (AP) will soon send an email with full details. In case, the situation does not improve as expected while making these decisions, we shall revisit these decisions and it will be informed.
Wish you all a good health.
Director, IIT Bombay
Message from the Director on Academic Activities : 22 March 2020
Hope you and your family are all well and safe. Our (as well as for the country) primary concern now is on how to tide over this difficult phase. First of all you are requested to strictly follow the health guidelines provided by the government agencies so that we can arrest the spread of the virus.
Please note that we may have to extend the closure period beyond April 04, 2020. Hence do not plan your return to campus unless you hear from us.
The faculty members of IIT Bombay will move towards online (not necessarily live) delivery of the courses you have registered. Moodle has been opened up for access from outside without VPN. Kindly access it as your instructors would reach you through Moodle. Your instructors may also use other online tools to reach you. Please keep yourself engaged in academic activities.
However, if you have any difficulty in accessing the content online, there is no need to worry as all materials will remain available till you return to campus. Just e-mail to your course-instructor and they will guide you accordingly.
Please do not worry about the current semester exams and other evaluation matters [for all UG/Masters/PhD] right now. We are currently discussing several possibilities. Depending on how the situation evolves, appropriate decisions will be taken and intimated to you all in due course of time.
Please take care of yourself and your family during this difficult time.
Director, IIT Bombay